The Canadian Talent Programmer & Booker, Just For Laughs works as part of the Just for Laughs Programming team to oversee the booking and programming of all Canadian talent across all Just for Laughs Festivals and properties. They are responsible for creating and implementing an overall strategy for representing Canadian talent across all our properties as well as maintaining industry relationships with talent, agencies and other comedy promoters and events.
The successful applicant will have direct experience in a similar position with strong ties in the Canadian comedy industry producing and programming stand-up comedy. They will have strong organizational skills and the ability to prioritise multiple projects at once in a time-sensitive and high-pressured environment. This is a rare opportunity to join the biggest global comedy brand in a key position supporting and fostering Canadian comedy!
Duration : This is a full-time position.
Location : Montréal, QC OR remote within Canada, with monthly trips to Montreal and up to 2-3 month relocation to Montreal QC for the summer period.
We offer :
- A stimulating work environment
- Dynamic team
- Permanent full-time position
- Group insurance
- Sick leave days
- Access to continuous training
- Free show tickets
Responsibilities include the following :
- Oversee the booking of all Canadian talent for all JFL projects worldwide, including but not limited to the Montreal, Vancouver, and Toronto Festivals, JFL Originals and JFL Touring events across the country;
- Be responsible for all Canadian scouting, offers, negotiations, approving marketing/PR and overall producing of Canadian artists/shows;
- Maintain ongoing relationships with Canadian talent as well as agents, mangers, venues, producers etc.;
- Be responsible for the annual scouting of Canadian talent, including all aspects of planning showcases across the country with a focus on all priority markets;
- Act as a valuable member of the programming team, contributing ideas and creative strategies as well as acting as a senior producer, providing management and guidance to other members of the Programming team on key projects;
- Work closely with the Director of Programming on all programming aspects including, but not limited to, ensuring all Festival programming deliverables are met according to programming deadlines, and overseeing talent budgets;
- Oversee, book and produce New Faces Canada as an integral part of Just for Laughs Montréal;
- Oversee the talent contracts process; providing insight and guidance on template creation with an eye for Festival needs and talent relations and ensuring that all talent processes are being adhered to for each project;
- Work closely with the Director of Operations and Logistics team to approve all artist logistics costs and needs for the Montréal and Toronto festivals;
- Consult with the Director of Audio Content on annual strategy to book and produce all JFL Originals albums across Canada as well as booking all talent and vetting all sets;
- Consult on and assist in programming of all Canadian talent for all Live/Touring projects including but not limited to The Canadian Tour, The Road Show, JFL Bermuda, as well as openers for touring acts;
- Maintain a comprehensive database and scouting notes on Canadian talent and markets;
- Work with festival teams to build all relevant show schedules and pacings documents in collaboration with the Associate Producers.
The successful candidate will have :
- Strong existing relationships with comedy industry (agents and managers) and talent across Canada;
- 5+ years’ experience producing and programming comedy events;
- An understanding of the global comedy market and trends, with a focus on Canadian comedy and talent;
- Excellent organization skills with an ability to think proactively and prioritize work;
- Ability to take initiative and work both independently and as part of a broader organizational team;
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced work environment with multiple competing deadlines and projects;
- Flexible travel schedule;
- Flexible work schedule, to accommodate various business time zones;
- A strong understanding of the Just For Laughs brand and history;
- Bilingualism (English & French) is an asset but not required;
- A genuine love of comedy
This position is published in English in addition to the French version, because the selected candidate must deal with English-speaking customers and suppliers outside Quebec